Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hello - This is Me!

This is my first post, and I am a little nervous!  I am not a writer or a blogger , but I have wanted to start something to share my experience and to keep myself accountable for my own life.  Through this blog, I will watch my own life flourish -- and hopefully help some other people along the way.  I also live in Austin, TX and love it!  I will be sure to share some of my favorite things about this city as well.   This post is going to be a little long, but I need to get up to date on everything.  I promise not every post will be long!

A little about me:
My name is Robyn Foxworth.   I have had a pretty great life and have always appreciated everything that has come my way.  I have always been a pretty confident and out going person.  I am one of those people who is always trying to help or "save" people from something or someone.  I am 35 years old, and I am just now realizing that it is time to do something great for myself.

I lost my job in December of 2010.  I had worked for the company for over 6 years, and had made work my life.  In this time I gained a lot of weight, gave up on my dreams of having my own business, and pretty much just gave up on myself -- and for what?  Security, living pay check to pay check, being unhappy with myself and my life?  After I lost my job,  I spent a year feeling sorry for myself, and ignoring how I got to the place that I was at.  I put all of my energy into my friends issues and problems, and ignored my own issues, so not to have to deal with them.  Needless to say I lost my way, and was in a rut that I was not sure I was going to be able to get out of.

On January 3 of this year, a couple of friends and I joined in on "The Mayor's Resolution Walk/Run".  On this walk, one of my girlfriends and I decided we had to make a change!  So we started a walking group.  We started off walking 3 miles at least 3 times a week.  That went on for a month or so, then we added another mile.  Within 21/2 months we were walking 5 miles at least 3 times a week.  Instead of trying to continue adding more miles, we then decided to just start walking these 5 miles faster (our goal was to get them below 15 minutes per mile).  I started to find myself waking up everyday and going for my 5 mile walk -- needless to say I was doing this more than three times a week, and finding myself going at it alone!  It was great to start my day walking along Town Lake (Lady Bird Lake) by myself.  This was my own time to spend reflecting on my life, my relationships, my health, my dreams, and my goals.  I finally stopped feeling sorry for myself, and started realizing that I am in control of my own life.  Honestly, it is the only thing I have control over.  Walking became part of my daily routine for 6 months -- then the Austin, TX summer began, and IT IS HOT!!!!!  The walking became slower, shorter, to not happening at all!  Luckily I live in a city that has natural spring pools -- so I started swimming!!!!  I am not swimming every day, but I am trying to spend at least an hour at Barton Springs pool or Deep Eddy pool 3-4 times a week.  As much as I love this time in the pool, I can not wait for next month when it starts to cool down and I can start walking again!  But my goal is to turn my walking into jogging before winter.

This summer I also made another HUGE change in this journey to living the life I imagine:  EATING "REAL" FOOD!  That is right -- I have taken all processed foods out of my life!  I also do not eat any type of grains.  I get all of my carbs from fruits and vegetables -- and I eat MEAT!  This is big because I was vegetarian for years.  I have more energy and am fitting into clothes that I have not been able to wear in a while.

This brings me to my weight.  I have no idea how much I weigh -- scales scare me.  I completely go by how I feel and by how my clothes fit.  But all of this is about to change.  My sister is a crossfit trainer, health nut, and an AdvoCare Advisor (you can check out her blog at http://stronghealthyfit.blogspot.com/).  She is getting the family together to do the AdvoCare 24 Day Weight Management Challenge.  This is the first time I have ever done anything like this, and I am really looking forward to it.  But I am going to have to get on a scale, take my measurements, and my body fat percentage.  SCARY!!!!!  But I am willing to do it, share it, and take photos -- which will all be posted on this blog!  This challenge starts at the end of the month, and I will be updating my progress here.

Here is to LIVING THE LIFE I IMAGINE! 

 

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome and honest start, Robyn. Looking in the mirror and accepting that person looking back is huge! Thank you for sharing yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are off to a good start! You have so many people that will support your journey. I look forward to reading your posts along the way..the good, the bad, and the ugly are what make it a complete journey.

    ReplyDelete